Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Kettlebell



Time for a new post. 
Actually I didn’t write too much yet, maybe because I didn't really know what to write about. So after 2 days of hunting for a new topic, I decided to write about something that changed my lifestyle and had a very big effect on my attitude towards every aspect of life. 

It all started 2 years ago when a friend of mine told me about that sport he is doing and that he wants to achieve the trainer’s license. I thought that I have to give it a try. I had this often that I started a sport like basketball, karate or volleyball and after a few months I just gave up because it did not enjoy it anymore. So I decided to go to my friend's first session and try this new sport called Kettlebell. What happened was that I actually got addicted to it. Since then I just can't stop, even though I often feel like a car crash victim after the work out.



The word Kettlebell refers not only to the sport, but
to the weight itself. It is simple thing, a cannonball with a handle on it. J
Kettlebell wasn't always a sport. Originally it was used as measure weight in agriculture. Later in the 17th century the Soviet army used it as physical training equipment. Who else than the Russian.:)
So it was used in the army for a long time, but the man who made it one of the most famous sports of the 21 century was Pavel Tsatsouline. He not just popularized it over the world, but he also contributed to it and standardized the whole system to bring out the best of this seemingly simple iron ball with a handle. 
Basically it uses the rules of weightlifting, but it goes further. There are an infinitive number of exercises that can be done with the kettlebell. It is used to perform cardio exercises as well as ballistic exercises and strength training. A training session combines kettlebell exercises and own-body-weight exercises to make the torment more interesting and varied.:)



In the last few years kettlebell conquered the world and nowadays you won't really find a fitness centre where there is no kettlebell training offered or at least a few kettlebell's standing in the corner. They also refer to it as the fitness revolution. Just type in kettlebell in to the youtube search box and you will find tons of videos explaining how to do it. Be careful though the most of the people in the videos don't really have the knowledge to give instructions. The real masters of kettlebell are called RKC (Russian Kettlebell Challenge). This means that they accomplished the training tests lead and controlled by Pavel Tsatsouline and learned everything that is to know about the basics of kettlebell. Last year Pavel founded a new system called strong first. Basically it is the same as RKC just the name is different.





Even though it is just a weight, the exercises are pretty complex and need much practice in order to make them properly, because without instructions of a professional trainer these exercises can be very dangerous. After a few month of training the progress is astonishing. I could do things with my body that I never thought I could. It gave me a much better control of my body. What’s more it helped me with my back problems and it had effect on my lifestyle too. Before I started the sport I was shy to try things. I always thought that this is too much for me or that I am not able to do this because blablabla. Since I train regularly I got much more active not just physically but also mentally. It motivates me, or better said it taught me how to motivate myself.:)

I linked some further videos at the bottom if you are interested.
















http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IzNfoXsOWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifSUbSv9KRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpFL_q_Zemw

2 comments:

  1. That's a late comment, I know, but finally I managed to find some time to re-read and comment on some of the blog posts I was interested in this semester...

    I can really understand your excitement about this sport – are you still into it?
    I like your comparison with the car crash victim since this sport looks really exhausting, I have to say. I can imagine that it is considerable strengthening your body and toning your muscles.

    However, it also looks dangerous – just imagine what could happen if the weigh slips out your hands. I think it is highly recommended to have a (personal) trainer who takes care about you to make every move right, in order to not injure yourself.

    Anyway, I think it can be more valuable than some exercises on fitness equipment, because the movements are less static and also train the smaller (hidden) muscles.

    Good luck for your work out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very interesting sport and it is very versatile. Even though it is only an iron ball with a handle, I never get bored during a workout.
      It is dangerous but if you learn to use it with a professional trainer than you learn to control the weight. The chance that you injure yourself by doing kettlebell is in my opinion smaller than by running with bad shoes.

      It changed my lifestyle. It is not only a sport but much more than that. The movements I learned by doing kettlebell are convertible and you can use them in your everyday life. For example, I learned how to lift a wardrobe without injuring my back. I can only recommend it.

      Delete